How do I avoid card surcharges?
Avoid the Payment Card Surcharge – switch to a fee free payment option
If you have a credit or debit card linked to your account for auto top up or auto payments, you will be charged a Payment Card Surcharge for all transactions from 1 September 2018. If you have an account you can avoid this fee by switching to direct debit from your nominated bank account.
The Payment Card Surcharge is a straight pass through of costs from our financial institution and relates to all account and pass payments made with a VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Diners Club credit or debit card. The surcharge won’t apply to toll invoice payments.
You’ll find more information about fees here.
If you’d prefer to be fee free, you can update your account details to pay by direct debit.
Follow these instructions to switch your auto top up or auto payment from a credit card payment to direct debit:
- Log in to your account or Melbourne Pass
- Select the ‘Auto top up’ or 'Auto payments' option on the right hand side navigation
- Confirm your auto payment amount
- Confirm your trigger amount
- Select the ‘Bank account’ tab
- Enter your account name, BSB and account number
- Read and accept the Direct Debit Service Agreement
- Select the ‘Set up’ button
After you’ve completed these steps we’ll send you an email to confirm that your auto top up payment details have been updated.
If you’d prefer, you can also make fee free payments using BPAY or in person at a participating retailer.